Look back on all the spending you’ve done and try to recognize patterns/spending habits.
If you notice every time you get paid, you buy a new outfit, shoes, perfume, etc., work on changing that habit.
• Work on not buying any new personal unnecessary items and consider not doing so for a good time span. Start small if necessary (1 month) and eventually try for 3, 6, or 9 months, and finally a year.
If you notice you eat out a lot, consider these tips.
• Take a lunch from home.
• Buy enough groceries to prepare home cooked meals and wait until you get home.
• Make homemade snacks to nibble on to hold you over until you make it home.
If you notice you waste a lot of energy at home cut back buy:
• Turning off lights and TVs when no one’s in the room.
• Fix leaky faucets.
• Don’t cook more than necessary.
You can save money and energy by doing so. Call your electrical and gas company for other money saving tips!
• ComEd and Nicor.
photo cred: Cathryn Lavery